The Brooklyn man responsible for killing a former Maspeth bar owner in a hit-and-run may be offered a three-and-a-half to seven-year plea deal from the Queens District Attorney, much to the dismay of the slain man’s family.
Peter Rodriguez, 37, was arrested last November and charged with killing George Gibbons, the 37-year-old owner of The Gibbons’ Home, a popular bar located on 69th Street in Maspeth, on the morning of Saturday, October 15, 2011.
He then fled to Connecticut, where he was later arrested.
Rodriguez was allegedly behind the wheel of a car that was going the wrong way down the Long Island Expressway service road at 58th Road when he collided with a livery cab that Gibbons was riding in.
“We’re not happy,” said Gibbons’ younger sister Bernadette, who has attended all of Rodriguez’ court cases with other members of her family.
Gibbons added that her family would prefer Rodriguez get life without parole.
She said the only time she saw her brother’s killer, so far, was at his arraignment.
Rodriguez faces a series of charges, including second-degree manslaughter, leaving the scene of an accident and criminally negligent homicide.
The most serious charge of manslaughter carries a sentence of anywhere from three to 15 years in prison.
This is not the first time Rodriguez has been in trouble with the law. Since 1992 he was charged with 10 felonies and nine misdemeanors, according to records obtained by this paper. He was convicted on four of the felony charges and two of the misdemeanors.
The case was adjourned until April 20 at 10 a.m. and 12 p.m., when Rodriguez is expected to formally be offered a plea, according to sources close to the case. He will then be sentenced on May 4, when the Gibbons family will also make a statement.
“It’ll influence him when he does come up for parole,” Gibbons said. “At least now we know the next [court] day is going to be substantial.”