Ingrown toenails are very common in pediatric and adult patients. An ingrown nail occurs when the corner of a nail grows into the skin causing pain, redness and often even infection in the surrounding skin. Ingrown toenails should be treated in the office of your foot doctor NYC to avoid further complications.If this is a chronic recurring issue, your foot doctor in NYC has a number of treatment options to permanently prevent your ingrown nail from returning.
All symptoms, potential procedural/surgical options should always be discussed with your podiatrist after a thorough consultation and examination for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
Causes of Ingrown Toenail
It is important to consider the cause of your ingrown nail rather than just treating the problem and you can count on your midtown NYC foot doctor to make a proper diagnosis. The causes that can lead to an ingrown toenail include:
• Incorrect toenail trimming: When toenails are cut too short or the edges are trimmed, the skin can push over the top of the nails, and the nails grow into the skin.
• Poor fitting shoes: Wearing shoes that are too tight can increase the pressure on the skin around your nails. Your toenail can puncture your skin if pressed into the flesh for too long.
• Physical damage: Stubbed toes can occasionally promote ingrown nails.
• Foot perspiration: Feet inside of non-breathable shoes become moist with sweat, which causes the skin to soften and allows the toenail to more easily penetrate.
• Nail shape: Curved nails tend to dig into the skin more often than square-shaped ones.
• Nail infections: Fungal infections can thicken toenails to the point where they pierce the flesh.
Manhattan Foot Specialists
55 W 17th St STE 106,
New York, NY 10011